Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Can buccak medicine be put on a plastic frisbee so the dog

Customer Question

Can buccak medicine be put on a plastic frisbee so the dog sucks the medication as he needs to go to the vet and he won’t let me use the oral syringe
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: since we adopted him 8 months ago
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bentley and he 22 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bentley?
Customer: he needs to see the vet but is aggressive when they try to medicate him
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Buccal - DEXMEDETOMIDINE hydrochloride. Instructions are put three drops onto gums 30 to 60 minutes before the appointment and its preparation is 0.1 MG
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.Unfortunately this won't likely work as the medicine needs to be put directly on the gums.This method could result in him simply swallowing the gel which wouldn't be very effective.
ACP tablets mixed in food may be a good alternative.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Tried this on different strengths and didn’t make any difference can you think of another alternative as the vet is suggesting local anaesthesia
For what reason is he seeing the vet?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ear infection- unknown cause. This has been ongoing and as they have been unable to assess he has been continuously on apoquel
Ah thank you, ok.I agree a sedation with injection is likely the best option.We need to examine deep within the ear canal and this will be painful without sedation or anaesthetic.Oftentimes, this is what we do even for placid and cooperative dogs so we can be effective.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks so much so a sedative injection can be given instead of ha and if so what’s it called please? Failing that can the tablets be given forever?
We would usually use a sedative injection containing medetomidine and torbugesic (your vet will know this so I wouldn't worry about names).If he can be snappy, it is best to bring him in muzzled and we'd then inject quickly in the rump while you hold him.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.

I hope that this has been helpful and please let me know if there is anything else.

Take care,

Linda.