Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog just threw up what looks like a dog chew bone with a

Customer Question

Hello, My dog just threw up what looks like a dog chew bone with a bit of pink on it… should I be overly concerned?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She’s a 4 y/o blue heeler cross cattle dog. Seems to be ok now, with no other obvious symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I understand your concern.  I see quite a lot of pink in that photo and it doesn't look like blood.  It appears more like food coloring.  Is that possible?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I guess it could be from
Her regular food which is quite pink.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She seems to be ok and in herself but was just randomly sick and that’s what I saw.
Thank you.  That makes the most sense.

Can you think of anything new or inappropriate she might have ingested that prompted her vomiting?

I noticed that there were quite large chunks of the chew bone in her vomitus and some had sharp edges which could have irritated the lining of her stomach.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I cut the chunks to see if they were that chew bone but yes, perhaps. Anything I should be looking out for?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They came out a bit smoother
Persistent vomiting and or anorexia would be worrisome as these can indicate gastrointestinal obstruction or perforation.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No more vomiting so far and she is passing stool.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your help and I’ll let you know if I see any further symptoms

You're quite welcome.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.