How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr L Simmon Your Own Question
Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 8115
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr L Simmon is online now

Is benzisothiazolin-3-one t ant killer toxic to dogs. Mine

This answer was rated:

is benzisothiazolin-3-one t ant killer toxic to dogs. Mine has just licked the ant killer holder clean there was about 1/2 Tsp there
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the dog vomited since ingesting the ant killer?
Customer: not at all though it was only about 15 min ago. she looks fine
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: NOT THAT I CAN THINK OF

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for your dog.

There is limited information on the safety or danger of this chemical to dogs.

One study I have found indicates:

Subchronic oral toxicity studies showed systemic effects after repeated oral administration including decreased body weight, increased incidence of forestomach hyperplasia, and non-glandular stomach lesions in rats. In dogs, the effects occurred at lower doses than in rats, and included alterations in blood chemistry (decreased plasma albumin, total protein, and alanine aminotransferase) and increased absolute liver weight.

So it would seem this chemical is toxic, at least when given over a period of time.

As the ingestion was so recent and we are confident it has happened, the safest thing would be to bring him to a vet now to induce vomiting. This can be done quickly and safely and eliminates any real risk.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
FYI I phoned the company direct Vitax Ltd and spoke to customer services who said it is not toxic to dogs, not ideal as it’s not a food substance, but shouldn’t harm her!
I'm glad they've reassured you of this and thank you for keeping me in the loop.Do keep an eye on her (as I know you will) for any signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, muscle tremors or lethargy.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and let me know if anything changes.

I do hope all is well with your dog.

Anything else, please let me know.

Dr L Simmon and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for asking. She has shown no signs of having digested anything amiss. So I guess ant killer not too serious!

I'm so glad to hear she remains well!

Have a lovely weekend.