Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

We have a Cross chihuahua he is 14 and has dementia and bad

We have a ***** ***** Cross chihuahua he is 14 and has dementia and bad joints. He has on 3 occasions soiled the room he sleeps in massively. Very loose all over the room with no control.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the ***** ***** Terrier's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: His dementia last year
JA: When did the ***** ***** Terrier last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: His joints a little longer. Bladder stones Vet was about 3 months ago. He is taking tablets for his joints and pain
JA: And what's the ***** ***** Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Buster 14
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Buster?
Customer: He wears a nappy at night because he had limited bladder control
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Buster.  Please tell me the active ingredient in his pain medication.  Some will cause digestive upset such as you described in the form of diarrhea.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yumove active ease joint support

Thank you.  The omega-3 fatty acids in that product can cause diarrhea when given in excess.  You might reduce the dose of that product.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The pain tabs were galliprant but we have stopped these as the joint tabs seem to have eased any discomfort
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The yumove is only one tablet a day

Galliprant is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and this class of drugs is known to cause digestive distress.  Stopping it is prudent whenever digestive distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea arise.

Now that you've stopped its administration, have you seen improvement in his bowel movements?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We will stop the yumove and see if things improve
I would hate to leave such a dog without any pain relief.  You have two choices of over the counter analgesics:

As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin (Bayer, generics) dosed at 22 mg per kg of bodyweight with food at 12-hour intervals or paracetamol which can be dosed at 15 mg per kg of bodyweight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. When giving paracetamol for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 11 mg/kg of bodyweight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

You may hear that paracetamol must never be given to pets. That's true in cats but a literature search for toxicity in dogs revealed no special predisposition to adverse effects or toxicity at the doses I posted above.

If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

It's my pleasure.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.  I understand that you're in hospice mode at this time.  Ask Buster's vet for palliative care to address Buster's diarrhea.  As for over the counter care, consider bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol, Kaopectate) dosed at just 0.2 mL per kg of bodyweight every 6-8 hours.