Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

My Yorkie Poo has become very lethargic. She threw up all

Hello, my Yorkie Poo has become very lethargic. She threw up all she had for dinner and since then she’s been sleepy.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: It is undigested food.
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: She could but unlikely
JA: What's the Yorkie's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she will be 2 in sept. She wieighs 4 lbs and this behavior is so unusual.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Coco?
Customer: I can’t think of anything else.

Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm sorry to hear about your Yorkie Poo girl Coco who has been lethargic and vomiting tonight. My name is***** and I am here to assist you. Please give me 2 - 3 minutes to consider your pet’s case and respond.

I will get back to you very soon! In the meantime, let me know if you have any other important points here?

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Coco tonight to cause this vomiting and lethargy, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Whatever the case, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Coco, and if this vomiting (in particular) continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight. Likewise, if she seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check her over straight away.

For now, make sure Coco has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Now and overnight, please keep an eye on Coco's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

There is some excellent detailed information about doing this, online here: https://emergencypetinfo.weebly.com/vital-signs.html and you can see a video on how to do this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq5n2qHn2x4

As she is likely quite nauseous right now, you may also want to try Coco with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

If you have time, you can see an excellent article on different digestive orders of dogs: https://www.msdvetmanual.com/dog-owners/digestive-disorders-of-dogs/introduction-to-digestive-disorders-of-dogs

I hope all goes well with with Coco and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify?

Many thanks,
Dr E

Hopefully you received that full reply. Please let me know if you have any further questions? I am here to assist you.
I would love an update a little later on if you have time.

All the best,
Dr E

Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Coco is on the mend! After a good sleep she woke more like herself and slept all night. She has had boiled chicken and white rice this morning and all seems to be going well. Thank you for your response.

That's wonderful to hear, thank you so much for the update!

Dr E