Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog back legs have become very weak, my dog is eating way

My dog back legs have become very weak, my dog is eating way to much. His skin is very flaky and dry and near his genital area there is loads of black dots on his skin
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the dots? Has the dog been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: A good few weeks ago but I just thought they would clear up on there own but unfortunately not, yes he has been licking his skin
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: lucky he’s around 9 now
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lucky?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He has also been losing his fur on his body and feet and ears
Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this. What breed is your dog? Could you send me some pictures of the skin lesions you describe? Any changes to his water intake or urination at all?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He is a chihuahua, yeah sure I’ll send some pictures over. His water intake is fine he’s drinking normally and he’s urination is normal
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (SP57Q76)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (MP5TSMZ)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
His skin is so dry and flaky and he’s lost most of his skin on his ears. The fur is growing back but he’s losing it at the same time

Does he itch himself at all?

Any changes to the shape of his abdomen?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He doesn’t itch really to be honest. His stomach always looks big and swollen. He will eat the smallest amount of food and it will be huge and he will struggle to walk
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
You have any idea what the issue could be?
Symmetrical non-pruritic (itchy) hairloss, raises concerns over an endocrine (hormonal) cause of the hairloss (For example under active thyroid or Cushings disease) , although other possibilities include certain parasites such as Demodectic mange.

Your vet will want to perform a through physical examination, possible perform skin scrapes and take a blood sample for analysis. This should help to narrow down the likely list of possibilities here.

Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you!! That is all
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
For now

You're welcome. Best wishes