retnev
retnev, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  All dog and cat Veterinary questions and problems.Interest in Surgery
61759096

My 10 month old cocker spaniel seems to be losing hair in

Hi! My 10 month old cocker spaniel seems to be losing hair in certain patches on his back. I’m not sure if this is due to the high pollen count at the moment or if this is something to be worried about
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the Cocker Spaniel was losing his fur?
Customer: yesterday
JA: Is his skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: no
JA: What's the Cocker Spaniel's name and age?
Customer: kobe, 10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Kobe?
Customer: No nothing

Hello and welcome, my name is***** am a BVSc graduate of vet school with 15 years of experience of medicine and surgery. It is my privilege to help with your question.

• Thank you for the question about Kobe.

• Yes this can be due to the allergies to pollens.

• I normally like to put these cases onto an Omega-3 supplement. It has various positive effects including anti-allergic effects. It also provides the essential nutrients for a healthy coat.  The supplement  is available from vet shops or online.

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/allerg-3-liquid-food-supplement-for-dogs-healthy-skin-coat

• Fleas can potentially also cause hair loss on the back. If he hasn't been treated for fleas recently, it will be ideal if he could be treated with a pour-on or other treatment.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Perfect! Would I be able just to send you a quick picture across? I really worry about him and having health anxiety myself it doesn’t help! Just don’t want him to be in any discomfort. Would you recommend adding some salmon oil to his food? I ive heard this can help a dogs coat
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It definitely isn’t flees as I treat in regularly and have inspected his femur
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Fur
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
As you can see it isn’t major but there are a couple of other spots that are the same as this, I have felt his skin underneath and it does feel more dry that the rest of his skin

Thank you for the pictures. Luckily it does not look too severe. Yes, the salmon oil will be ideal. It is one of the best sources of Omega-3's.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Fab, is there anything I can put on his skin that may make it less dry for the time being, in case it is uncomfortable for him? as of course the salmon oil will take time to show its effects?

Thanks. Yes a bit of olive oil can be rubbed into the skin. Otherwise a human hair conditioner may be used.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Great! Thanks a lot :)

Thanks and you are most welcome.