Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is coughing and grunting like a pig he is 12 year old

Customer Question

He is coughing and grunting like a pig he is 12 year old pomeranian. It is as if he has got something stuck in his throat and trying to cough it up. He has been like this now for a good few hours and can not settle.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the Pomeranian able to breathe okay?
Customer: struggling at the moment and cant go to sleep cause he panting
JA: What's the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Benji Wray
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He has just had is annual booster on Friday
Category: Dog
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Benji.

Has he ever had a cough before?

Are his gums pink and wet?

Hi there, could you see my reply above?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

It looks like you may be offline. Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try. Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

I'm sorry Benji has these signs and know you will be worried for him.

His symptoms could have several causes given his age and breed and we would consider:

• Heart disease
  • Tracheal collapse
  • Bronchitis
  • A lung infection
  • Lungworm
  • Kennel Cough
  • A foreign body in the airway e.g. a grass awn

Signs like this do need to be taking seriously and I'd advise a vet check as soon as you can. They will listen to Benji's heart and lungs and may advise a chest x-ray if concerned.

His treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g. anti inflammatories and antibiotics.

At home, ensure the air is well ventilated and free of dust, smoke and cooking fumes.

He should be rested and, when he is walked, use a body harness rather than neck collar.

Hopefully Benji is back to normal very soon.

Any further questions are welcomed.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.