Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He just ate and has immediately come outside and been sick

Customer Question

He just ate and has immediately come outside and been sick (it is yellowish with white foam) and has now just layed down on the grass, he is an old boy (13) and recently he has been getting quite bad at keeping his food down and is finding walking for more than a couple mins at a time too much
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: not unless he he walking no
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: he’s called Kenzo and he is 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Kenzo?
Customer: he is a boxer and his appetite since around the time we had the heat come has been a lot less and about 50% of the time he doesn’t finish his food
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Kenzo.

How regularly is he being sick?

Is he bloated, panting or losing weight?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for responding so quickly, He is sick every like 1 in 5 meals if he finishes them or not and he is panting more with more noises when he does so and yeah he has lost weight recently
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is drinking a lot of water at the moment as well

I'm sorry to hear all this.

When did he last see a vet?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Probably about 2 years ago now

Understood, thank you.

Before typing my reply is there anything else I should know?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He used to have a big appetite and never let us miss feeding time without making it well known and today he wasn’t bothered really at all that his food was a couple hours late, he wasn’t the biggest fan of walks ever but now we can’t get 2 mins down the road before he stops and lays down till we’re like okay let’s go back, he has also been licking his front shins a lot to the point they have changed colour and his stomach seems to be making like weird gurgling noises every now Nd then at the moment and his lifestyle has become considerably less active

Thank you for all of this information.

I am just typing my reply now.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay great Thankyou

I'm sorry Kenzo has been poorly and understand you will be worried for him.

As dogs get older, it is inevitable they will start to develop some age-related issues. As Kenzo is a Boxer, he does likely have some joint disease and arthritis which could be a factor in his mobility problems and slowing down.

Dogs will lick their joints when they are in pain and the saliva can cause the fur to change colour.

However, we would not expect the other signs and these are probably telling us there is something more serious going on.

His signs of frequent vomiting, weight loss, excess thirst, a reduced appetite and panting could have several causes including:

• Liver disease
  • Kidney failure
  • Diabetes
  • Cancer
  • A protein losing disorder
  • A gut obstruction
  • Heart failure
  • Etc.

It is important he sees a vet who can check him over and will likely run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan, so we can get to the bottom of this.

His treatment options will depend on what is going on.

At home, offer small and frequent meals of something easily digestible like chicken and rice alongside plenty of water.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thankyou really appreciate all the information we’ll take him down to the vets ASAP, we have also jusy noticed that he is shaking a bit aswell do you know what this could mean?

Shaking can be several things including:

• A pain reaction
  • Nausea
  • A fever
  • Etc.

If you can, I'd try and have him seen today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay thank you so much, you’ve been really helpful, just really worried you know.

I understand and hopefully we can get some answers soon.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.