Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has slipped and fell in my house and hurt her knee, 1

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: hi there my dog has slipped and fell in my house and hurt her knee
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the dog's knee start hurting?
Customer: 1 week ago 25th July, though it was a pulled muscle but she hasn’t gotten any better
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She has visited a vet today and was prescribed a painkiller with anti inflammatory but I can’t afford to take her treatment any further. Can you please help me?
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lottie and she is 15 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lottie?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Lottie.

Has the vet suggested there is more going on than a muscle strain?

Did the advise some tests such as an x-ray?

Hi there, could you see my reply?

It looks like you may be offline. Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try. Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

So typically a muscle strain will heal within a few days as long as we strictly rest the dog and give the medicine issued.

If this is not the case, we'd be suspicious of a more serious injury such as a ruptured knee ligament, dislocated kneecap or bone fracture. In this instance, an x-ray and exam under sedation is needed so we can make a diagnosis and formulate a treatment plan.

If unable to afford an x-ray with your vet, you could see if you are eligible for charity assistance from e.g. the RSPCA or PDSA.

You can also enquire with your vet if they offer payment plans or allow payment on credit.

Hopefully Lottie improves very soon.

Any further questions are welcomed.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.