Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She has special diet due to stones so she cannot eat protein

Customer Question

She has special diet due to stones so she cannot eat protein this has been OK for nearly a year since she had operation but today she is lethargic has runny eyes and slight dripping urine
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: She is very tired her eyes seem to be rolling but no obvious pain area just a general discomfort she was running around last night
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Fudge she is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Fudge?
Customer: She's a shitzu
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Fudge.

When did she last pass a normal stream of urine?

Are her gums pink and wet?

Hi there, could you see my reply?

It looks like you may be offline. Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try. Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

I'm sorry Fudge has these signs and understand your concern for her.

The fact that urine is dripping is a worry and, given her history, we would consider:

• A urinary tract infection
  • Cystitis
  • Urinary crystals or bladder stones
  • A bladder mass
  • Urinary incontinence (especially if neutered early in life)
  • Etc.

As she is also lethargic, I'd worry about a fever, infection or pain.

A vet visit is needed so we can examine her and analyse her urine. If concerned, the vet may also advise on a bladder scan.

Her treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g. antibiotics, anti inflammatories and bladder supplements.

At home, ensure she is able to pass urine and offer plenty of water to help 'flush her through'.

Hopefully she is back to normal very soon.

Any further questions are welcomed.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.