Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

She ate a naproxen and has been vomiting and diarrhoea for 3

Customer Question

She ate a naproxen and has been vomiting and diarrhoea for 3 days bloody stool this morning
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 10kg
JA: The Expert will know if the dog will be okay to digest the Naproxen. What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: smudge and she's 6
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Smudge?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Smudge.  This is one of the toxic drugs a dog could ingest.  At just 5.5 mg per kg of bodyweight, gastrointestinal ulceration can arise.  At 15.4 mg per kg of bodyweight kidney failure can arise and that's what my primary concern is with Smudge at this time.

Smudge needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience.  Tests for kidney function will be performed and if they indicate kidney damage, Smudge will be placed on IV fluids and given ancillary care for her gastrointestinal irritation.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you what signs would I see if there was kidney failure?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have taken her to the vet but we hadn't thought she had eaten the naproxen at that point
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.

...just what you're currently seeing.  The signs of kidney failure include anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, (often with blood), painful abdomen, increased thirst.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.