Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My puppy who is 5 months old. Keeps barking begging crying

Customer Question

My puppy who is 5 months old . Keeps barking begging crying every time we eat or open packet etc . What is the best advice to stop this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern as this must be frustrating.

When he does get his meals or treats, does he see you open the package first?

Does anyone in the home ever feed him human food?

Hi there, could you see my reply?

It looks like you may be offline. Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try. Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

When a pup acts like this around open packets it is generally because they have formed an associated between the packet and them.

If this sound sometimes means food is coming, they will ask for food every time.

Pups are so food driven that they will act this way even if it happens rarely.

It is important NO ONE in the home shares food in this manner or feeds the pup from the packet. Consistency is key.

When serving meals or treats, never open the package within earshot of the pup, so they don't make the association.

It can take weeks (or sometimes months) for it to 'click' with the puppy and for them to understand the noise does not mean they get a treat. The association will eventually break and the packaging will no longer excite them.

When he does beg or cry, it is best to ignore or re-direct to something else (you can ask a training command or start playing with a new toy).

Any further questions are welcomed.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.