Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a shihtzu. He was vomiting and runny stools today

Customer Question

I have a shihtzu Sam. He was vomiting and runny stools today which isn’t too uncommon for him as he does get an upset tummy from time to time but he seems to be in a lot of pain and quite subdued from evening ono
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: Yes vomit was foamy mucus in stools
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: he is renowned for eating things he shouldn’t but not witnessed anything
JA: And what's the Shih Tzu's name and age?
Customer: Sam 18 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sam?
Customer: he does seem to get an upset stomach from time to time and will vomit bile approx every fortnight but he’s really lethargic didn’t want to go out for his walk at 10pm. I’ve kept him resting in my bed but he’s just changed position to get comfortable and yelped and as I’ve tried to check him he’s snapped at me which is out of character
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Sam.
Are his gums pink and wet?
Is he bloated or breathing fast?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.

Hi there, could you see my reply?

How is Sam?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi sorry for the delay in reply. Sam was poorly throughout the night but he had a poo and there was a big piece of plastic which he must have ingested. He seems much like his old self now and eating and drinking ok thankfully. He’s a very lucky boy! I was very worried.

No problem at all.

Bless him, it sounds like he was up to some mischief.

When it comes to a foreign body like this, we need to be aware there could be more remaining.

We would want to ensure he is eating, drinking and active.

His gums should be pink and wet. He should not be bloated and should be able to exercise as usual.

I'd offer a bland diet of chicken and rice alongside plenty of water.

If vomiting persists or he is not right, a check up is important to rule out a persistent obstruction or gut laceration.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will keep my eye on him, thank you so much for the advice. He is always eating inedible objects, he was at the vets a few month ago as he ate a big piece of broken balloon whilst on a walk, he is very opportunistic and I do worry that he’ll it’ll kill him one day. Unsure if they do muzzles for shihtzus tho.

Is this all ok?

Do you have any further questions?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.