Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My nine year old retriever as got a bulge on his nock under

Customer Question

Hi my nine year old retriever as got a bulge on his nock under his chin the size of a football
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this bulge? Does the Retriever lick the skin as well?
Customer: he for years had a pouch in his neck but a lot smaller but no he doesn’t lick his skin but saliva is dripping constantly
JA: What's the Retriever's name?
Customer: murphie.it’s been this large for about a week z .
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I think this bulge is now pushing up into his mouth so he finding it harder to eat or drink
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Murphie.
Is it affecting his breathing?
Would a clear photo be possible?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 5 days ago.

Hi there, could you see my reply?

How is Murphie?

It looks like you may be offline. Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try. Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

I'm sorry Murphie has developed this issue and know you will be concerned.

From your description, there are a few considerations including:

• A sialocele or ruptured salivary gland
  • An enlarged lymph node
  • A cyst
  • An abscess
  • Etc.

A vet trip is important so we can assess Murphie and we may scan the area and/or pop a needle in to see what we can extract,

He may need some antibiotics and anti inflammatories, depending on what is going on.

Hopefully this issue resolves shortly.

Any further questions are welcomed.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 4 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.