Dr Megan
Dr Megan, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110745586

Can I crate two puppies together in 1 crate? Vi and Rosie 8

Customer Question

Can I crate two puppies together in 1 crate?
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the puppy's name and age?
Customer: Vi and Rosie 8 weeks old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No 2 normal healthy labrador puppies
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 6 days ago.
Hello, I am Dr Megan and I will be helping you today. 

Congratulations on your new pups! I have a Labrador too, they are great dogs.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
very much so we love them grate family dogs. We are just wondering if we can crate them together?
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 6 days ago.

Ideally you should have two crates. Crate them separately at night (crates can be side by side) and allow them to be together in the day in their puppy proofed space.

Vi and Rosie will hopefully grow up to be best friends but we should start to teach them that they can be ok independently and set some boundaries to make future training better. If we set some boundaries now (or soon) about sleeping apart it can make crating a lot easier in the future. Plus in a few months they both wont fit in the crate together. 

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No they are a 5th and 6th labradors so we understand they grow but the dogs bedroom is our back room so crate is helpful in the beginning to stop them chewing once we go to bed. They are just the first we have had together as puppies so wasn't sure about crating them together. We understand they should be trained separately.
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 6 days ago.

Yes totally agree with you and didn't mean to say anything you already knew. It would be best to crate them separately if possible. Now is the best age for them to learn, I know the first few weeks can be tough with the crate training but best separately.

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 6 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this and we can discuss in more detail.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Is it impossible for 2 sister puppies to get along together?
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 4 days ago.

I suppose it is not impossible and depends on what behaviour they are showing?

Play fighting is very common at this age and they will be testing each others boundaries.