Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Is 13, border collie, has had a hysterectomy and appears to

Customer Question

Chippy is 13, border collie, has had a hysterectomy and appears to be in quite some pain. Whining, panting, barking, licking at her genitals
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this panting happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the Border Collie have a cough as well?
Customer: yes she has been choking recently
JA: And what's the Border Collie's name and age?
Customer: chippy, 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Chippy?
Customer: she has arthritis quite severe now
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, could this be related to her previous hysterectomy that happened a few months ago?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Update she has gone to sleep now, she is incredibly loved. I’m not sure of post-hysterectomy complications, but her behaviour recently has been choking on water, scratching at her nose and licking at her genitals, this surge of pain seemed to come out of nowhere, although it could be the arthritis despite her being on pain killers. Thank you
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Chippy.

When was her surgery?

Are her gums pink and wet?

What medicine is she on?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
About a year ago, they are pink but pretty dry she’s a little dehydrated in the hot weather, she’s on meta cam
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She’s very sleepy now, that burst of pain earlier seemed very out of the blue
Thank you.It is quite possible her arthritic pain is no longer controlled by Metacam alone. Many older dogs require additional medicine to control signs as Metacam is a mild pain relief.This can mean providing additional prescription medicine such as Tramadol and Gabapentin.
We often find signs are worse at night as the dog has less distraction.

I do agree the signs you listed are likely indicative of underlying pain.

As we know she has arthritis, and she is an elderly Collie, my top suspicion is that this would be the cause.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions about this.

As touched open, the medicine she is on is a mild pain relief.

I would recommend a vet check so we can re-assess her and alter her pain management plan.

We would hope to get to the point where her pain is well controlled at all times.

It can also help to:

• Use an orthopaedic bed
  • Offer joint supplements
  • Keep her slim
  • Keep her occupied with e.g. a Kong or food puzzle.

Any further questions are welcomed.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.