Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I thought I noticed a blue cloud in one of my dog’s eyes a

I thought I noticed a blue cloud in one of my dog’s eyes a few weeks ago. I haven’t noticed it since. She’s an 11 year old cocker. I took her for her check up with my vet and she thought one eyeball looked bigger than the other. I couldn’t see what she was saying though she kept saying ‘can you see’. I kind of feel she was making something out of nothing and if I hadn’t mentioned that one time it looked a bit blue she wouldn’t have seen any difference in size. She’s now referred her to a vet opthamologist over an hour away from me amd at £200 just for the consultation there. I feel like I’m being rushed down a very expensive route with nothing really to suggest anything is wrong.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with your cocker.

Glaucoma must be the most important differential in any elderly cocker that showed evidence of corneal stretching and inflammation (the blue cloud) a swell as the eyeball appearing larger than the other eyeball.  This can come and go at first but eventually will worsen to the point that the pupil will be mydriatic (wide open), inflammation will be seen in whites of the eyes, the cornea (the clear window of the eye) will remain clouded and the eyeball will be noticeably larger than the other eye.

While a specialist ophthalmologist is best, ***** ***** who has a handheld tonometer can measure your cocker's intraocular pressure and determine if it's elevated (glaucoma).  If so, it's important to treat promptly as it only takes a few hours for increased intraocular pressure to blind a dog.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

errata: "...as well as the eyeball..." is correct; "...in the whites of the eyes," is correct

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ah my vet said they didn’t have that piece of equipment. The eyeball doesn’t look different. The white isn’t inflamed. The cornea only looked cloudy that one time. Thanks for the edits. I knew what you meant. I just dont see any difference in the eye. She shows no sign of discomfort. They whites and pupils of her eyes are clear and the same size. I just can’t afford to take a day off work plus the fuel and time to pay £200 just because I said one time here eye looked blue.Maybe I should ask another local vet for advice?

I understand.  Can you upload a close-up photo of the eye to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have found another vet nearby that has the tonometer. They treated her when she was knocked over 18months ago. They were great and I don’t know why I didn’t just move over to them.I will book in with them tomorrow.

Well done!  Keep me posted, please.

If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Those were 2 pics of the left eye. Weird colour in the first one.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
These are right eye x 2 pics
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
All photos taken with flash
Which eye concerned the vet, please?  I see age-related nuclear sclerosis of the lens in both eyes.  The orange is unclear to me as that would be an unusual color of the tapetum - the reflective layer of the retina.  Perhaps artifactual by the flash...
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I think it was the weird flash as it didn’t go that colour the second time.It’s the left eye she was worried about.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You’re being so helpful.

I see chemosis (edema) of the conjunctiva of the left eye.  That's usually an irritant/allergenic response that should be transient.  Simply rinsing the eye out with artificial tears of normal saline should suffice.  See image:

There's no evidence of glaucoma in either eye.

Thank you for your kind words.  If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This is so well explained thank you. I see you are from Concord. I’m in England and my friend has moved to Concord. Imagine how strange it would be if you were her dog’s vet!!

I haven't worked in Concord for years.  I've been living on the big island of Hawaii for most of the past 12 years.  Getting back to the UK is still on my bucket list.  I need to visit more than the stretch between Southampton and London!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Haha. Yes indeed. So much to see. I’m from Ireland and I get lost in England all the time! I don’t really know anywhere.Thank you so much for all of that thoroughly helpful advice. I truly appreciate it.Also; I get allergies where the clear (jelly) bit of my eyes swell and I think you’ve just explained what it is when no one else has been able to!Thanks so much

!!!! I'm not allowed to treat people but don't tell anybody.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hahahaha. Thank you for everything.

It's my pleasure.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Quick, clear, concise, reassuring information. Utterly brilliant service. Thank you.
Thank you for your kind words.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your expertise.

You're welcome.