Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She is 20 month border collie. Has stopped eating. Also now

She is 20 month border collie. Has stopped eating. Also now stopped drinking. Refuses treats. Vet says bloods all ok. Neck flexion OK. No stomach lumps
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the Border Collie's appetite? How is her energy level?
Customer: Energy almost zero. 4th day
JA: Does the Border Collie seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the Border Collie's name and age?
Customer: Poppy. 20 months Spayed
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Poppy?
Customer: She had similar 6 months ago. She was given anti bio, one steroid jab. She recovered after 10 days.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Poppy.
When was her blood test?
Has she had any additional tests such as an abdominal scan?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Blood test 2 days ago. Scan later today
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Meningitis has been ruled out
Ok I'm glad to hear a scan is scheduled and agree this is the next sensible step given her age and signs.I'd wonder about pancreatitis, a gut obstruction or a bile duct disorder.
Frustratingly, her signs aren't specific so there could be several causes. In cases like this it is important to run severe diagnostic tests until we know exactly what we're dealing with.
I'd also consider a blood film analysis and I'd want to know her electrolytes have been checked in case of Addison's disease.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks. Lets see how the scan goes
please feel free to keep me updated, this window stays open.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Pleased to advise that Poppy has been eating and drinking again whilst at the vets this morning.Her temp is down a little to 39.2 from 39.9Awaiting outcomes of scan but can also advise Addisons ruled out after specific tests. Apparently 50 on whatever scale is indicative of likely Addisons - Poppy registered 137.Current thinking is severe intestinal/stomach infection and alternate broad spectrum anti bios administered.
Oh bless her, I'm so glad to hear she sounds to be going in the right direction and it sounds as though she is being well taken care of and the vets are doing a thorough job.

Do you have any further questions for me today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Keep up the good work!

My pleasure and wishing Poppy a very speedy recovery!

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @Doctor.Simmon at the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.