Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

He was wormed about 10 days ago and yes he is very lethargic

Customer Question

Hello Dr Linda
He was wormed about 10 days ago and yes he is very lethargic since last night. He woke up 3 am for loo break and since then he had severe flatulence and not slept much.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Panacur 10%
We haven't checked his weight since he started antibiotics. Before that he was 2.45 kg he is very lethargic since last night
Do we feed him anything today or just let him fast?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Waiting for your response
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 days ago.
Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.
I am so sorry that your guy is not feeling well. What is his name, age and breed? It appears that he is suffering from a digestive disturbance caused possibly by something odd he may have ingested. Most often, this treatment that follows will help him past this:

Fast him for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal. If this has been over 24 hrs of a fast, then feed him a small meal of rice and boiled chicken.

Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. This can be purchased over the counter at the human pharmacy or chemist.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed the rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the symptoms have resolved, then wean him back onto regular food. If the they persist, especially during the fast, take your guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or infection that will require veterinary intervention.

Does that make sense to you?