Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 6 Yr old dobermann male he has injured his cruciate

Hi I have a 6 Yr old dobermann male he has injured his cruciate ...
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Doberman's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: He injured his leg 2weeks ago , racing around while exercising .... I have registered with the odsa ad I am a cancer patient ... Pdsa sorry
JA: I know how worrying cancer can be. Let me get you the Vet right away. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share?
Customer: He has been rested up since he's done this ...Customer: Chat is completed

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for your dog.

How can I help you today?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
As I said I am a cancer patient , i have a vet , and they have quoted me this operation would cost around £4000.
As you can imagine I'm out of head with worry .....
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No its fine I can type ...

Yes, not a problem.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have registered with the PDSA , so just waiting for an appointment ...is there anything else i can do in the meantime ???

So, when it comes to a ruptured cruciate, a surgical repair offers the best chance of a good recovery.

When a dog weighs more than 15kg, conservative management (of rest and medicine) does not tend to offer much success and the dog struggles to stay mobile and can develop quite severe arthritis.

So, yes, if we can perform a surgery this would be best for him.

Privately, this operation does tend to cost several thousand pounds.

You may find if you call around, some vets can offer it a little cheaper e.g. closer to £2,500.

Alternatives would be to:

• See if you are eligible for help from the PDSA, RSPCA or Blue Cross and see if any offer orthopaedic surgeries in your area.
  • As registered with the PDSA, call your local branch and ask if any of the vets can perform this surgery. This will depend on which vet is working in your local surgery.
  • Ask your vet if a payment plan or payment on credit would be an option
  • Consider crowdfunding with e.g. a Go Fund Me page.

In the meantime, it is all about rest and pain management with medicine.

Keeping him slim and providing joint supplements may help too.

Please be aware, many dogs will go on to rupture their other cruciate.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for this advice, yes he is at his ideal weight .... I have been giving him metacam , he seems comfortable now, but this surgery has to be done ASAP.
I have been in my breed now for 40 years , I exhibit and judge my breed at championship level ..I'm totally in love with my breed...
I have never had this happen to any other dobe I've owned...its worrying me to death as you can imagine ....
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He is on Yumove Plus joint supplement and has been since he was 4 years old ....

I'm so sorry, I know how awful it is to see our pets in discomfort and not able to get about as they should.

I agree, I don't often see many Dobies with this issue, likely due to their body shape and the fact they don't tend to put on fat as easily as similar sized dogs (Rotties and Labs especially!).

I really hope the PDSA can get him in soon and we usually have good results within a few weeks.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you and yes its heartbreaking
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I feed both of mine on total canin weight control, so this keeps their weight in check
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank You very much for putting my mind at ease you've been a great help ....
I'll let you know the outcome
Thanks again
Julie & Kaos

It sounds like you are really doing all you can.

Sometimes, sadly, we can do all we can but things like this will still happen.

Hopefully Kaos. doesn't have to wait much longer for his procedure.

Thanks Julie, I would appreciate you keeping me in the loop and would welcome any further questions.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Absolutely I will keep know touch with his op and rehab ...
Thanks again
Enjoy the rest of your day

And you!