Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Is it impossible for 2 sister puppies to live together in a

Customer Question

Is it impossible for 2 sister puppies to live together in a family situation do they have to live separately in the same house all the time?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.
Are these 2 pups from the same litter being rehomed together?Is your concern for "litter mate syndrome"?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
we are concerned about litter mate syndrome they are from the same litter
Sure thing, ok.
I'm just typing my reply.
There is no doubt that some young pups rehomed together can go on to develop littermate syndrome. For this reason, we typically advise not re-homing pups together and spacing it at least 6 months between bringing ew young dogs home.However, littermate syndrome is not a given. Some pups are raised together and never develop behavioural issues.
We can reduce the risk by ensuring the pups have plenty of time apart and that we train them one-to-one and ensure they develop as individuals rather than a duo who are constantly stuck to each other.We'd need to be constantly on the lookout for signs of behavioural issues, addressing any as soon as they develop.
As long as we put the training and work in, the pups should not have to be kept separately.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Should we walk them separately all the time when they are ready to go out.
I would do a mix, as long as when they're together, they listen to your training commands and walk sensibly on the lead.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
they should just sleep separately?
It is about ensuring they have time and space to develop as individuals. As long as we're doing this and they're not becoming overly reliant on each other's company, they can spend time together and sleep together.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help. We have been bombarded with different conflicting advice and you have reassured us.
Of course, my pleasure.
It is an area where people have differing opinions but, from my experience, many littermates can coexist without issue as long as we dedicate time to them individually.Do you have any further questions today?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.