Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Eye infection, Maltichon, No there closed and can’t afford a

Eye infection
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Maltichon
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about the eye infection yet? How long has this been going on with the Maltichon?
Customer: No there closed and can’t afford a vet right now. And about a week
JA: And what's the Maltichon's name and age?
Customer: Holly 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Holly?
Customer: nothing else
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Holly.
What are her signs?
Has she had eye issues in the past?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She had an issue before when she scratched her eye but that was months ago. Both of her eyes this time seem to be struggling. There stuck together. Sorry the photos aren’t very good
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (VMLS5ZT)
Thank you, ***** ***** downloading this photo now.
Thank you for this.To confirm, she had an eye ulcer before?
Do you know if the vet measured her tear production?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We managed to get her eyes clean and back to normal but she keeps pawing at them. We have a collar on her but she’s still doing it
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The vet just said she had a scratch and prescribed antibiotic cream
Thank you, ***** *****
Before typing my reply is there anything else you think I should know?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No that’s it
I'm sorry Holly has this issue and know you'll be worried.
Given her age and breed and the fact she had a recent eye ulcer, my top suspicion would be that she has "Dry Eye" (Keraroconjunctivitis Sicca). She likely has a secondary bacterial infection too.
It is important she sees a vet to check for ulcers and measure her tear production.I suspect she needs some topical medicine including lubricants and antibiotics. The most effective medicine are prescription only.
At home, we need to trim away the clumped fur and clean the eyes regularly with warm water and cotton wool to remove crusting. We can start using lubricant drops (like Viscotears) every few hours which should help a little. The buster collar can still be used.If costs are a concern, please let your vet know so they can work with you and keep costs down.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can’t afford a vet and the ones where I live aren’t open till Monday. Is there anything I can do till then?
as discussed you can clip the fur, clean the eyes, continue to use the cone and apply the lubricant every few hours.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Amazing thank you
No problem at all.Do you have any further questions today?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No that’s all thank you
Sure thing and wishing Holly a speedy recovery.
If there's anything else, please just let me know.