Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Spaniel 10months old late away from mum at 16wks old, confident

Spaniel 10months old late away from mum at 16wks old, confident in own garden eager when asked to go for walk gets to front of drive then goes down and will not go any further. Tried all coaxing with/ without food to no avail am now desperate!!!!!!! For dog and my waistline!

DogDoc4U :

Welcome to the chat! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to answer your questions today

DogDoc4U :

I am going to give you some advise from Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer which I have used with my clients readily

DogDoc4U :

I would also advise visiting his website, there are many tips and videos that demonstrate how to get him to walk forward (I am a visual person so have to see the results in order to repeat them)

DogDoc4U :

The top priorities are going to be trying a different leash/ collar combination, sometimes a slip leash that has the collar as well

DogDoc4U :

The most important thing is to not baby him and say "it's ok" or feel sorry for him not moving forward because that reflects further weakness and implies it is ok to be scared right now and can cause him to shut down further

DogDoc4U :

The primary thing to do is get a light pressure with the leash moving forward until he takes that one step then release the pressure. You don't need to use your voice at all, this is all energy related and voice can reflect anxiety and empathy which will not help this situation

DogDoc4U :

So pressure on the leash until he starts to show forward motion on his body then release the pressure and move foward

DogDoc4U :

Give me just one moment to get you a few videos on what I am describing

DogDoc4U :

But the type of leash/ collar is important to add pressure to move forward because it sounds like he is shutting down with what you are using (Cesar often will use this technique)

DogDoc4U :

Sometimes (which is the episode I am searching for) having another dog that is calm and confident with you will also help with this process

DogDoc4U :

CLICK HERE, this is not the exact episode (I have been looking for 20 minutes now) but the concept is the same. This one is with the Saint Bernard that won't use stairs but his concept of getting this dog to move forward is what I am referring to...

DogDoc4U :

I am going to change formats but will monitor for your response in the next few hours...