Anna, Pet Trainer
Experience:  40 yrs. training pet dogs and performance dogs in obedience, agility, herding, tracking, and therapy.
6012901

Hi I have a French bulldog. She was bred on the 17th 18th 19th

Hi I have a French bulldog. She was bred on the 17th 18th 19th December,
She has become very possessive over me, we have
Two other dogs one make Frenchie, who appears
Terrified if going near her. She has always been placid and playful, but has
Developed this "demon dog" behaviour and keeps
On trying to fight with the other dog. We as yet haven't confirmed
The pregnancy, but I am worried about this sudden bad behaviour, which has developed
Over the past week. Please advise
Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am happy to wait a few more hours, failing that I could have got a response much sooner calling my vet, your web states an instant answer, hence whi I paid. If you do not respond soon, I wish to have a refund.
Regards wendy
Hello Wendy,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have added this question to the dog training category, which will hopefully open up the question to more experts with the knowledge to answer your question.

Sorry for the wait but thank you for your patience.

Hello Wendy, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with many years of experience in the field of dogs. I apologize for such late response. I am one of JustAnswer's' experts in the United States, and Shantal just sent me your question because she thought I could answer it. (I did not have access to it prior to this).

Peggy's behaviour is not extremely unusual. It is not a dominance (leader of the pack) behavior at all. It's called maternal aggression. It occurs during pregnancy, false pregnancies, and while puppies are being nursed. Female hormone that change during these times are responsible. This is not something you can train out of her; you just have to manage it. she shoudl probably be kept in a separate room so she can't attack the other dogs.Females who develop this aggression during pregnancy are often overly-protective of their pups once they are born. That means humans will need to be careful around Peggy until this stage of her life passes. Dogs exhibiting maternal aggression sometimes misdirect it toward their puppies. If they feel the puppies are threatened, the mother may even kill them. It is believed this is a misguided instinct to keep the puppies from being taken by a predator. It seems senseless to us, but a dog can't help what her instincts tell her.

I wish I had an easy solution for you, but unfortunately, there isn't one. You'll have to take steps to keep humans and other dogs out of danger, and do everything you can to make Peggy feel safe when her pups arrive. Even if this turns out to be a false pregnancy, the behavior will simply have to be managed. With a female who develops this type of aggression, many breeders will spay her after her puppies are weaned. That's easier than dealing with the aggression each time. It is also thought that such behaviour patterns may be passed on to female puppies.

The best way to deal with this would be to use baby gates to separate the house, giving Peggy a quiter area to live in until this is over. Perhaps you even have a separate room with a door you could close so she can't get to the other dogs.

If you ahve more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Peggy will successfully raise a nice litter for you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Anna, Pet Trainer
Experience: 40 yrs. training pet dogs and performance dogs in obedience, agility, herding, tracking, and therapy.