DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

My cocker of 10 mionths is still chewing towels bedding, I

my cocker of 10 mionths is still chewing towels bedding, I have tried sprays etc what else can I do please.
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog training's name and age?
Customer: I do not take him training as I have 2 cockers the first one I took but its too expensive.
Assistant: How old is I?
Customer: the first one is 6 yrs and Bentley is 10 months.
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about I?
Customer: hes really a good pup comes back when hes called no other he is a bit of a bossy one with Morgan but they get on.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as a service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

At what times does the puppy chew on items? are you home or away from the house?

What type of exercise do you give the dog?

What is the dog's personality type? Is he shy, fearful, outgoing etc?

Are you doing any obedience training in the home at all? If so, how often?

You said you have tried sprays, what else have you tried? Please be specific.

How long have you tried the above this approach?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Bentley mostly chews at night but does do it if something is left out, we try to move everything up high , were in the house most of the time with both dogs, except for when they go for walks.Both dogs go out in the morning for a good walk for an hour/hpur and half off lead where they meet plenty of other dogs, hes happy to play with all dogs.They both then go for an afternoon walk some off lead and some on lead for half to an hour each day.The pups very outgoing and does not seem fearful.i do training in the home no specific time but i try to do it quite a few times here and there like if im in another room I will call him tocome, I play hide the toys cannot give him soft toys he chews them, I give him congs and hard toys, he does luke fetch the ball. Tried the spray 2/3 weeks but it did not seem to make any difference maybe it wasnt long enough. tried moving things out of his reach, he does not steal food tho hes very food minded. I have thought about getting a noisy horn to stop him but im not sure if thats a good idea, I clap my hands and he stops ill say leave it and mostly he does listen.Ive done all this since we got him as he has chewed a lot. I hope this is enough explanation for you and thanks again Betty.

Thank you Betty for that information.

clapping your hands and other noise distractions are just interrupters that will stop the behavior in that instant , but not likely to stop it long term.

Chewing is usually from boredom or stress and since you describe his personality as outgoing I don't think stress is a factor.

I might invest in toys that are mind stimulating such as dog puzzles where he has to figure out how to get the food out by moving puzzle pieces around, I might try the buster cube for his meal time rather than a dish and try to do more training sessions as this also tires a dog's mind, which is very different from exercise of the body.

I would also firm up the leave it command by starting over in training it. When a dog does not listen to a command when you give it, it just means it was not taught long enough before it was used in a real life circumstance.

I would also keep him contained when you cannot watch him. At this time we know he will destroy something if left to his own devices, so basically we are setting him up to fail by letting him have free run without being watched.

I am not sure what type of training you are doing but clicker training works very well with pups. If you would like I could send you some links on how that works. It is a positive method.

Because of his age, I would train several times a day for short periods, 10 to 15 minutes and this can be while you are cooking dinner or watching TV, anytime can be training time:)

Dog Puzzles. If you just type in dog puzzles on amazon you will come to a page full. I just happened to pick this one . PetCo also carries dog puzzles.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=dog+puzzles+for+large+dogs

clicker training print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your quick reply. I did have him crated but he chewed in his crate I have allso bought learning toys where he opens the lids and gets a treat, but the little beggar is so quick hes done in no time but we still play that game. I will do more with him as you say you would think he would be shattered after his walk as he does so much exceercise but there you go we shalll do some more thanks once again I shall feed him as you said as he is always after food.

That sounds like a good plan! Thank you for the rating it is very much appreciated.