Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

We have a one year old Frenchie called Mabel and a 2 1/2

Hi - we have a one year old Frenchie called Mabel and a 2 1/2 year Frenchie called Lily. Lily is completely house trained but Mabel regularly poos and pees overnight in the kitchen (where they both sleep). Mabel can go through the night without needing to poo/pee as sometimes both dogs sleep through the night on our bed with us.
We are reluctant to crate Mabel as the dogs normally sleep together but is this the answer to our problem?

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The first thing to be sure of is that you are cleaning the area where Mabel has gone with a good enzymatic pet odor remover. Even on linoleum or tiles, the odor might seep in and regular cleaning supplies may not remove the odor. So be sure to do a thorough cleaning.

Crating in a properly sized crate would help with the situation. It would need to be a crate that only allows Mabel room to lay down, turn around and stand up. If you leave extra room, she will use that for a potty area. I personally believe in crate training. Since she is able to hold it when with you, then crating may be the answer for you. Another possible solution at least short term would be to use a sod patch.

You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform. The plus side of using a sod patch is that she will continue to realize that grass and dirt is the proper place to eliminate and not flooring in your house.

An intact female dog going into heat will start urinating more often and even break house training. So if she is intact, I'd check to see if there is swelling in the vulva area. However, if it has been an ongoing problem then hormones would not be a contributing factor.

Now while I suspect that she won't eliminate in your bed because it is YOUR bed, it might be linked more to the fact that she is real comfortable in the bed and stays asleep longer than she does in the kitchen. Perhaps setting up a mattress like sleeping area for them might correct the problem by keeping her asleep longer.

My personal recommendation would be to do a good cleaning, try a softer larger sleeping pad first, then a sod patch in the area to see if those help. If not, then I would do crate training.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .