DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

I have 2 dogs a female 4years old i have had her from a pup

Customer Question

I have 2 dogs a female 4years old i have had her from a pup and a male who is 5 i have had him for a year my son has just got a puppy who is 6weeks old my female keeps on growling at him and went for him a few times what can i do
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

this is very common in older dogs and they should not be punished for these actions.

What you need to do is limit the time the puppy and the female are together and give the female a place to go to be on her own away from the puppy, especially in the home. Usually when outside things lighten up a bit because they can run from a puppy.

Puppy teeth and nails hurt an older dog and puppies do not have impulse control yet so they do not know when to stop.

The Female is trying to keep the puppy away from her because of this.

Start training the puppy in manners now using positive obedience training. Keep the sessions short 5 minutes at a time but do it several times through the day.

Get some interactive mind stimulating toys for the puppy to use so it is less interested in the female but is still using its mind as this does teach impulse control.

I will direct you to links for training that you can do at home and as a reward we usually use the pups daily dose of kibble as we train. For the mind stimulating toys you can also put the dogs kibble in those items adding only a few treats to keep interest.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Dog Puzzles. If you just type in dog puzzles on amazon you will come to a page full. I just happened to pick this one . PetCo also carries dog puzzles.

http://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-Ottosson-Brick-Interactive/dp/B001KZ4WJE/ref=sr_1_23?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982918&sr=1-23&keywords=dog+puzzles+for+large+dogs