DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

I have a x Patterdale 7 years old, he keeps attacking my 1

I have a ***** ***** x Patterdale 7 years old, he keeps attacking my 1 year old GSD even though the GSD beats him every time. Even on his back being shaken by the GSD he is still fighting back. He was like it with my old dog a collie before I had the new dog. Is there anything I can do please?

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

How is the older dog when it comes to taking a valued item away such as food, a bone, toy etc? Is there any reaction from the dog?

How often do you train the dog?

What commands does he know?

What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no aggression towards people. The dog is trained a couple of times a week. Sit, come. down leave. Taking them out together (no fighting) training together (no fighting) praising when good, telling off when fighting.

What about if there is a valued item when the other dog is in the room or approaches the valued item?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no aggression towards people. The dog is trained a couple of times a week. Sit, come. down leave. Taking them out together (no fighting) training together (no fighting) praising when good, telling off when fighting. He growls at the other dog, baring teeth, which he does even if he hasn't got anything, following the the other dog around to growl at him.

I would up his training to several times daily in short sessions and I would be rewarding the good behavior displayed so you start knocking out the bad behavior.

I would be teaching him the leave it command and use that when you see he is growling at the other dog. I would work on a command for Go to bed and put him in a stay there when you see he cannot control himself. No need to yell at him, just make it another command.

I would put him on the learn to earn program so this furthers your status and puts the two dogs on an even playing field. Daily training will also help with this.

I would make sure to give them both their own place to relax to and i would make sure there is no bottle-necking inside the home.

Because this is an on going issue it is becoming a learned behavior and that is why training is so important.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

leave it Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8oaB7MAJnI

use many items for leave it so the dog knows to leave everything alone when you say the command.

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He snarls most of the time in the house, the fighting starts when we go out of the house, we live on a farm, we have 2 other dogs bitches a collie 12, a GSD 4 months, he snapped at the pup today. I have had 20 dogs over the last 50 years, have done a lot of obedience training, I have never had a terrier before this one. My year old GSD is good with other dogs, goes training classes only turns on Gyp (jack/patterdale) when prevoked.

you will eventually use your leave it command when out of the house and get a really good recall on him so after you give the leave it you can get your recall going. The only other way is to put him on a 30 foot cotton lead so you have control over him until his commands are firm.

I would give him some heel, sits, stay when outside as well.

What you are trying to do is give the dog a different thing to do when outside rather than concentrate on the other dog.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Some improvement, however, after a couple of good days they had a fight and Gyp has returned to growling again. Is this to be expected and can I ever turn Gyp around completely?

It's very difficult to say if the dog will ever completely turn around. It has been too soon since you started training. It can take up to 6 months of continued training before there is a difference.