DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

I have a springer spaniel who refuses to let go of ball or

I have a springer spaniel who refuses to let go of ball or any toy it has in its mouth.Of course I have tried treats and even kneeling down in front of her, and putting the ball into her mouth and manually taking it out, and then giving it to her again and so on, still won't give up the ball. Being a S/S she is great at going through rough ground, but again when returning she won't give up item

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What command do you use when you offer a treat?

Did you actually train her first to give something up, or did you just try taking something and she refuses?

What type of treat do you normally use?

Is she doing this with every item or just those she sees as a value?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
meaty treats/chicken the same. plus cocktail sausages.She just likes dog toys and balls, but now it's moved onto shoes. I have tried items without my scent

And what command do you use and did you start out training that command initially or did you just try to take things from her?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I gentally started to take things from her but now it's moved onto sticks which could hurt her mouth
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As you know springers are great retrivers, but in my case it's not working

Thank you for that information. So she basically learned from the beginning that something she wants may be taken from her without giving an actual command that will allow her to know something better is coming. From there you tried to bribe with treats, but the problem was already formed.

I would pick up all toys, and start again with something that is not very exciting to her. this could be car keys, a whisk from the kitchen, something that she will retrieve but won't mid giving up for something better.

I would do clicker training with her so when she gives up the item you click that behavior which marks it, then give the reward. After a week of this, I would start implementing the cue give.

Eventually you can toss something , say get it, bring give, and she should be able to follow those cues.

What happens when we just take something from them is we take away some of their free will, this they remember, so we want them to know it is their free will to give something up in a trade up for praise and something better. You may have to use liver as a treat, something she has not had before so the ante is upped.

In case you are not familiar with clicker training I will put some links below.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

If she is a good eater of her normal kibble , I might not put a bowl of food in front of her for a while but keep it on the counter or in your pocket and use that at times for reward. If she is not a great eater or a grazer then it won't work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think I will try putting away any toys, but she will soon get bored and move onto something else to hold

I would give her something to hold, just so it is not appealing enough to her to give up. You do want her to learn to give items to you. go though your drawers and pick out some old stuff, then practice with her. Don't let her pick up items on her own (sticks, rocks, etc) until you have trained her to give them to you. This may take several weeks of training because right now she just knows one way to handle that situation.

This means you have to control her surroundings by keeping her on leash.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i'll try your suggestions thank you

You are very welcome. Have a great night!