How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Category: Dog Training
Satisfied Customers: 20218
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900
Type Your Dog Training Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now

Newly-adopted 5-year old Toby, terrier cross weighing 6.8Kg

This answer was rated:

Newly-adopted 5-year old Toby, terrier cross weighing 6.8Kg has sensitive tummy. I am keen to start him on garlic medication as he has been diagnosed from poo samples with campylobacter. Dog not particularly food-orientated, so he won't wolf down a whole garlic capsule no questions asked. Don't want to spend out on a pot of capsules if emptying them into his meals means he walks away from the food! Would you recommend crushing tablets? Which dose/brand? How frequent? Dog has had three tubes of probiotic/kaolin supplement already - don't want to induce constipation. Massive poo this morning, starting formed, much softer though not liquid halfway through. Any thoughts?
Many thanks
***** *****

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I personally am not a big fan of garlic. It can be toxic in higher dosages. I do know that there are medicinal properties as stated in this article here:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/garlic-for-dogs-poison-or-medicine/

You have to weigh whether the potential toxic response is worth the benefits. Read about toxicity here:

https://www.banfield.com/pet-healthcare/additional-resources/article-library/safety-tips/garlic-and-onions-are-poisonous-to-dogs-and-cats

In a dog having gastro intestinal issues already, I'd be inclined to skip the garlic. Hopefully you have received antibiotics to help take care of the campylobacter. I'd get that cleared up first and see how he does.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jane
Vet warned that erythromycin can have side effects. As a 'gut' enthusiast myself, I am not keen to kill off Toby's good gut bacteria with antibiotics. As a hunter, his little nose is so frequently on the ground or in everyone else's excretions that he would very quickly pick up another infection. I have read the pros and cons of garlic therapy already and would be careful not to overdose.

I really can not do phone calls. While erythromycin can indeed have some side effects, it is effective to treat the infection. Probiotics are readily available to replace the good bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract and many clients go ahead and give that along with the antibiotic. You have already started him on probiotic. If he is already forming stools without the antibiotic or the garlic, I'd still tend to hold off on the garlic until you have his stools more formed.

However, I'd try some bland hot dog slivers as treats and then you can start putting the tablets in a slit inside a chunk of hot dogs. They are smelly enough and tasty enough to dogs to induce them to swallow them almost whole. I'd start without the capsule since he may associate the garlic with stomach upset. Get him used to getting the "treat" first and only make it an occasional treat so he becomes eager for it. I wouldn't crush it and put it in the food as you won't know exactly how much he is actually ingesting that way. I do know some owners that have crushed the tablets and mixed with fluid and used a needleless syringe to administer it. It depends on how compliant your little guy is if that would be an option. I would make sure it is a tasty fluid though such as low salt chicken broth.

Jane Lefler and other Dog Training Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Prefer not to incur any additional expense at this time. Sorry. No further contact for now.Regards
***** *****