Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a 7yr old husky, Cyrus, along with a 9yr old, both

I have a 7yr old husky, Cyrus, along with a 9yr old, both male. The youger one has a physical disability, having a toe removed as a pup, & is now regularly messing, heavily, in the kitchen in the mornings. He does go in the garden 4/5 times a day as well, mainly after food, where the other dog - twice. This is now becoming a stressfull problem to my wife & I as I have started receiving treatment for Cancer. We have tried him on different foods, walking him later, & feeding him earlier, no change.
he is a great dog but it is only adding to our stress levels.
any suggestions. Thank you David.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm not sure why no other expert answered your questions, but I just logged in and wanted to help.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated. If you do not want help any longer just do not answer the questions.

Are they defecating or urinating or both?

What is your wife using to clean it up with? Is it an enzymatic cleaner?

Are both dogs doing it or only cyrus?

When was his last vet visit?

Are his stools formed, hard or soft?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1 both
2 cleaned up .. he does it on paper then floor cleaner finalot bleach spray
3 only Cyrus
4 2 months ago
5 both
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry i was answering quickly... hi Jane & thx for answering

I'm so sorry. I got called away to an emergency for a dog whelping.

The area needs to be cleaned with a good enzymatic pet odor remover. Nothing else really does a good enough job. Bleach is pretty effective but not 100% and bleach sprays usually are watered down. An enzymatic cleaners break down the protein in the waste and that eliminates the odor. Dogs' noses are so sensitive that if even a trace remains it will draw them back to the place to eliminate again.

Most dogs who are defecating in the manner you indicate often have parasites such as worms or protozoan infections like coccidia or giardia. These make it harder for a dog to hold their bowels and does create softer stools in many cases. With protozoan infections, the stool can be different consistencies even in the same day. I'd go ahead and get a stool sample into the vet and have it tested for that.

Now if you are sick, the dog knows this. It may be his way of testing your authority as well. He eliminates where he wants to because it is his place not yours anymore. Dogs are strange in that way. Him eliminating in the area makes it his. About all you can do is clean it well and start up obedience training or refresher training to help reestablish the humans as the boss.

You might restart his house training using the same methods as you used when you first got him or you might try crate training. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out. Perhaps before the illness, he was taken out more or had an easier way of letting you know that isn't as effective now that you are sick.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.