Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My 3 year old border terrier has started to pee in one spot

Customer Question

Hi - my 3 year old border terrier has started to pee in one spot in the house. This is after being on holiday with us for a week. Any ideas how to stop this please?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 15 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What are you cleaning the urine up with?

Is this a female or male dog?

Is the dog fixed?

Have there been any other dogs in the house?

what have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Morning.We are using a specialist dog odour treatment that should prevent repeat occurrences - simple solutions.He’s male and has not been neutered.The only other dog is the one who’s lived with him all the time.We’ve put a stair gate up now so he can’t get to the spot when he’s on his own and got up in night to let him out.ThanksMelissa

I'm glad that blocking the place off seems to work. That indicates that the odor is drawing the dog back. I know that you are cleaning the area up but if not done correctly, the odor remains and will actually encourage a dog to return to the spot to strengthen that dog's particular scent. Dogs mark to urinate and also mark their territory. When the scent starts to fade, they feel a strong need to urinate in the area again. In addition, a dog's nose is much more sensitive than ours. Most cleaners work to mask the odor from human noses and not a dog.

A good enzymatic pet odor remover is needed to remove the odor. You also need to ensure that the cleanser reaches all the urine in the carpet. Usine soaks down into the carpet and spreads out once it reaches the sub flooring it spreads out. Any cleaning product needs to be kept on the area to allow it to also reach down into the fibers and the subflooring. Also male dogs tend to urinate upwards and let the urine fall or run down an object so it is also important to clean any object nearby.

Nature's miracle is a good cleaner but I've found a lot of enzymatic cleaners work well but often take a second or third pass of cleaning to be effective. You should also be sure he has a clear signal he can use to let you know he needs to eliminate as well. Put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out.

If he is urinating often or more than normal you might want to have him checked for a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. He has inappropriate urination so check for other symptoms.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!