DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

My friends dog was attacked by geese and I was there to fend

Customer Question

My friends dog was attacked by geese and I was there to fend them off. Since then she has been scared of me. What can I do?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

She is likely associating you with the attack so it can take some time.

Can you tell me what you have tried so far?

How often do you see her?

Is this dog normally a shy/fearful type of dog with strangers?

I see you are off ine at this time and we are in different time zones , your day is my night, but if you can answer the questions above I will get back to you as soon as I am on again.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello. Thanks for getting back to me. I see her several times a week. I have tried talking calmly to her and giving her treats. She has never been a shy dog and usually loves people.
Thanks again
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for that information. It does sound as if you are guilty by association with the geese mishap.

I would stop trying too hard because to her it may seem like you are forcing yourself on her and she is not able to have the free will to just come up and check you out.

When you enter the home ignore her totally for a few times, let her get to see that nothing is going to happen when you enter. Always wait for her to approach you and when she does, don't talk to her or try to pet her, continue on with your conversation or whatever you are there for and ignore her. By doing this she has free will to come and check you out if she wants to.

Over time, when she approaches , then start giving a treat that she will only get from you. Make is something special like a chicken sliver or hot dog sliver. Give it and then ignore her again, no talking or petting. We want her to see you differently when you visit.

Hopefully this will show her some consistency in your actions, that you are not trying to push her, and that you come with something good when you enter.