DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

I have a10 month old Schnauzer puppy. She has boundless

I have a10 month old Schnauzer puppy. She has boundless energy and never sits still and wants my attention all the time. She is generally house clean, but when I get up in the morning she will not do a wee in the garden until I go with her and sometimes goes on my kitchen floor. Today she did a pooh on my carpet. When people come she is all over them and gets over excited. Help!

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

When is the last time she goes out at night?

Is she crated at night?

Have you started obedience training with her? If so how often do you train?
What commands does she know?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, she sleeps in her bed in the kitchen, it is a crate with the door open. No, there is nowhere near where I live accessible by public transport, I have no car. She knows sit and stay and come
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about the £15 pound I have just paid, will that be refunded?

I have not answered you yet, are you looking for a refund?

I cannot call another country I am not set up for that

Do you want to continue this way?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's ok would like to continue online but don't want to pay for a phone call I have not had

Unless someone calls you , you won't be charged.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please

we have to fill out a form that we have spoken to the customer by phone if we take your request.

I would make sure her last outing for the night is around 11 PM and the first outing is around 5 or 6 AM.

I would teach her a potty command so she will go when you ask her.

I would keep her in the crate for now through the night, and leash her for outings right away so you have control of where she goes on the way out the door.

I would begin general obedience training daily so she learns some impulse control and make sure you use a sit- stay when people come over. IF she gets up, the guests are to turn away from her. They should not be greeting her any more than a basic pet on the head and only when she is sitting. Once that initial time of greeting is over she should not be jumping on them and be in a more relaxed state.

Very important that a puppy continue to learn impulse control, training will help with that but so will dog toys that make the dog use its mind. Amazon has many dog puzzles that work well.

I am going to direct you to links for clicker training. There are videos as well so you can see how it works. Once you get started on this things should go better.

As for the potty command, take her outside, tell her to go potty even as she is eliminating and then praise and reward with something special such as hot dog, chicken or cheese, something she will only get when she eliminates outside. By doing this it will have her associate the act with the reward only when she goes outside. This should have her want to go outside more readily. Of course any accidents she has, you cannot punish or show disappointment or she will become afraid to go in front of you even outside.

The clicker costs a about a dollar in the US, I am not sure what it will cost in your pet stores.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Zac George -loading the clicker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDOrEEsAJ8

sometimes it helps if you have a friend or relative come and help you set the dog up by having them come into the house over and over again until the dog understands when guests come , she should sit to be petted. We call this a set up because some people do not have company often enough so that the dog learns not to get too excited.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your advice, but what about the fact that she is so demanding of my time and attention I f I sit down I am always given a toy I am expected to throw and if she sits on my lap, she demands stroking and petting, she never sits still , never relaxes

This is where your dog puzzles and training will come in handy. Dogs need to learn how to chill as a skill, training proper down-stays, got to bed etc. should help with this. Training should be done several times a day in short sessions.

Other attention seeking should be ignored or she will keep doing it. Dogs will do what works for them so if any attention is given, even negative attention it is attention which is what the dog desires.

negative behaviors can be redirected to getting a toy, to obeying commands, by doing puzzles. The more you are able to praise and reward good behaviors you want to see the more they will overrule bad behaviors

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for that advice. Can I just ask about her being spayed. I Am reluctant to have this done, although I don't want to breed her, but would it help with the problems I am having.

It can help them calm down quite a bit. I do advise it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** want to let you know that when I got Tasha, my husband was very ill and died shortly after, therefore my attention regarding training etc was not as it should have been. I feel very guilty about this and blame myself for these problems.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am still awaiting your response to my last message, as I felt the information was important for you to to know. Could you also let me know if I will be Emailed a transcript of this conversation as it has all the links and advice.

I am very sorry to hear of your husband:(

Do not worry, she is still young enough to be trained properly by you.

all of this should be in your email.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is so embarrassing taking her for a walk, because she gets so excited when someone greets her , she wees all over the floor.

That is excited urination and should go away with age. The best thing is to have them totally ignore her for 15 to 20 minutes after they arrive.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about people she meets on the street whilst out walking, she is a very pretty puppy and people want to say hello.

you can't stop that. You need to keep her away from people on the street until she goes through this adjustment. It is an involuntary action, she cannot help it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help, it's been really informative. I will do my best as I really want to love my little dog.

You are very welcome.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/