DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

Back in August last year, our dog tried to attack a relative

Back in August last year, our dog tried to attack a relative over a stair gate. Since then he has got himself in this mode of behaviour. He is ok with some people but not others. Our vet is aware and recommended a vet/behavioural specialist who came to see our dog. She told us about the agression ladder etc but said there was nothing more we can do. In a hotel a couple of nights ago, he said hello to one couple and was lovely but when a 20/30 year old came up, he dipped his head down and tried to attack her. It is very sad as he is a lovely dog, but now the family and grandkids do not come round. I would like someone to work with Alfie and see what the problems are. Thanks Sue
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Alfie and he is a Red and White Irish Setter
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alfie?
Customer: Only that he does get ear infections, but we keep an eye on his ears. The vet said that he could have had an ear infection when the incident first happened and now he has got into that mode of behaviour.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

This sounds like a dog that may be fearful of some people for whatever the reason, it is not trusting.

Where did you get the dog from?

How old was it when you got it?

What type of training has it had by you?

Have you contacted someone to give it a temperament evaluation ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, we bought the dog as a puppy from breeders. Alfie was about 12 weeks old. We did puppy training with him and went to police dog trainer for training when he was older. We also took him to ring craft classes. I took him to Crufts yesterday and he did well in his class. We have not contacted anyone re temperament evaluation.

Thank you. Because of his different actions towards different people, there may be some fear aggression , meaning that when something is unexpected in his life, he may lash out.

At this point you should contact a trainer in your area to do a temperament test which will disclose a bit more about his temperament.

ON the one incident you described, where he tried to get over the stair gate, is an action a dog that is fearful would display because they felt trapped by the gate. In the second incident there was unexpected movement from the person that ducked their head down , again another fear aggressive move when things do not seem stable to the dog.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your comments. Sorry I meant that Alfie ducked his head down before he tried to attack the person.

Sure, again it may have been something that made Alphie feel uncertain about this person , that he did not pick up from the previous people he has just met. For some dogs that are fearful, it could be a manner of dress, such as a long scarf , dark glasses, or a hat. It would be difficult for me to compare without seeing the actions and the people involved.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have been sitting on settee this evening and my husband was playing a bit of rough play with Alfie. Alfie will suddenly go over the top and nibbles the back of his jumper and lunges towards him aggresively. My husband is too soft on him where he would never treat me like this.

Alfie is telling your husband what is acceptable to do with him and when he crosses that line Alfie acts out. Again you need a personal evaluation on temperament so you know what you can and can't do with the dog. Temperament is something we are all born with and we all have thresholds on what we can handle, a dog is no different.

If Alphie is continuously pushed to his limit he will act out more and sooner than expected because he can't trust.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I don’t think that is the case because Andy finishes playing with him and then he jumps on settee and starts to nibble husbands jumper and tries to bite him. I think it is because Alfie feels he is dominant over my husband.

You need someone to temperament test him and observe his behavior and body language.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

you are welcome.