Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My Shihtzu has had three pups two boys and one girl my son

hello my Shihtzu has had three pups two boys and one girl my son wants to keep a boy and my daughter is heartbroken because she just wants to keep them all ...can I
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Flo she is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Flo?
Customer: she is my best friend and I love her very much

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure what your question is?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have been told its hard to keep litter mates , but i have fallen in love with them all my Flo was so ill she had a walrus baby ,so we had to have a c section then she got mastitis so i had to bottle feed them for 5 days , now they are strong 3 weeks old and i love them all , what complications will happen if i keep them all ,can it be done
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no i cant afford to call you , i have just paid £1500 for all the ops
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello are you still there

yes. I didn't get your notification of a reply. I'm reading now.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I still have not received anything ?

I do not do phone calls. Many experts believe it is difficult to keep litter mates but the actuality is that raising any two puppies together that are similar in age can lead to some issues with training. I've done it several times since I tend to keep females for my kennel.

It does make it harder to house train because ideally, a pup should be taken out as soon as they wake up. If you have two or three, you can not get all of them out at the same time. If you do manage to get them all out at the same time, half the time they are running around playing instead of eliminating. In addition, part of house training is rewarding them when they eliminate outside, but if you have more than one, that can be difficult.

Of course, when you start obedience training, you have to train them separately first, then train them all over again in groups of two and finally all together. In addition, if you have an "accident in the house" you have no idea which one to blame. On a good note, the pups usually determine who is the dominant pup as they are maturing and you really don't have some of the same assimilation issues as when you bring a dog into a household.

If you want to keep more than one, definitely do it, but be aware that training is going to be more difficult especially house training.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you I have read so many negatives but in my heart I need to keep them , thank you

You are very welcome.