Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

We have a 4 year old staff cross who we rescued from

We have a 4 year old staff cross who we rescued from Battersea when he was 6 months. He’s always had problems with anxiety, separation and aggression towards other dogs. He appears to be getting worse ie: barking and nipping at strangers when he meets them out on his walk or over the garden fence. He seems to be fine with people who have been invited through the front door.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Finley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Finley?
Customer: He’s a very loving, quiet dog when in the house with family

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this problem with Finley, have you sought any advise of behavioural help or tried anything so far?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have been to an animal trainer who said our problem was solved after he introduced Finley to several different dogs over a 30 minute period. Everything was just the same when we got home.

Ok well firstly your problems will never be solved in 30 minutes, it will take months of exposure and positive reinforcement to help solve this problem. The issue is likely stemming from fear due to lack of early exposure and socialisation at an earlier age. This can be improved but require lots of careful training. To start with I would consider doing some clicker training with him and treat/reward when passing people or other dogs in the street (from a distance), start with quiet areas where maybe you pass someone every 5 minutes of so and gradually work up to busier areas, keep him on the lead and muzzled if necessary for this. Once we gain some improvements there we can start to look at closer introductions and off lead work. I would also look for a different behaviourist to help you as you will need ongoing help and support with this. Perhaps Battersea can recommend someone suitable local to you? Make sure that they are properly accredited.

I hope that helps and please let me know if you have further questions.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Chris, will try with clicker training and reward and look for more help locally

You're welcome.

If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks and good luck with your dog.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do.