Linda Simon
Linda Simon,
Experience:  Locum veterinarian at Panacea pets ltd
103237793

My dog is a black cockapoo and I am very mindful of the very

My dog is a black cockapoo and I am very mindful of the very hot weather we are having at the moment, ensuring that we don't go out during the hottest times and taking lots of water, but I have seen dogs wearing baseball caps and although in principle they should give some protection to their head and eyes, would this just increase their body temperature
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Milly is 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Milly?
Customer: No she is extremely fit and healthy and a very energetic dog who loves her exercise, we live on the coast so she is often walked on the beach.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments while I type my response
Its fantastic you are so involved in Milly's care and it is clear you look after her very well!
I completely agree with you, baseball caps are more of a fashion statement than anything else and are not necessary when it comes to sun protection. Many dogs dislike them and they can cause increased humidity, particularly in the ears of spaniels (which is to be avoided at all times as it can lead to infections).
Instead of baseball caps, we recommend grooming fur short, walking at cooler times of the day, staying in the shade, offering plenty of water and rest breaks, not overdoing the exercise and going on swims if she likes them. With the swims; again be mindful of spaniel ears which should be dried thoroughly afterwards to prevent infection.
Black dogs absorb the heat more and younger/ very active dogs are more prone to heat stroke so we do need to take extra care.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** pretty much as I thought, so I will just keep to our current routine which does encompass all of your advice as above. Just out of interest what are your views on protective wax products for paws when walking on hot pavements/ sand etc.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****'t need to discuss on a live call.
Sounds good!
With regards ***** ***** feel that it is either safe to walk on or is not. I wouldn't rely on any wax products as they can easily wipe off and it can be tricky to distribute them easily and make sure the whole pad is protected.
Hence, always do the '5 second test ' I.e. place your hand firmly on the pavement/sand for 5 seconds and ensure it is comfortable and not hot. If so, we are good to go. If not, we need to wait.
I dont think the wax products do any harm if you are keen to give them a go but they can be a faff and should not be needed if we walk at the right times. of day.
Apologies for any phone call requests- the website does that automatically without my permission! Please continue to ignore them.