Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have just rehomed a 19 month beagle but my problem is his

Hi i have just rehomed a 19 month beagle but my problem is his previous owners allowed him to sleep in there bed i have a basset beagle that we crate but can not get this little one to settle barks all night an now is urinating indoors during the night please help !!
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Albie
Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Albie?
Customer: Not that im aware of

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Can I ask if he goes in the crate at other times such.as during the day or when you go out? Does he go in voluntarily?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi chris no he never been caged so just gets very distressed when ive tryed when i go out which only very short time my neighbour says he so distressed he has had two owners in a short time but happy as long as someone is with him, problem is its upsetting my bassett and i really dont no what to do..

Ok, it sounds like the main issue here is separation anxiety - he is anxious when left and this is likely causing the urination overnight as well. This can be a difficult issue to manage but I can give you some starting points

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou

Regarding the crate training - we need to make the crate a really positive place that he feels happy and safe in, I know it sounds silly but little things such as making the bed really comfortable can help. Leave the door open and few few treats inside, if he wonders in even for a short time give praise and more treats. Do not try shutting the door until he settles happily in there of his own accord. Making it a safe haven may also help separation anxiety when left. A phenomenon product such as pet remedy or adaptil can be used to help him feel more comfortable in the crate. It may take several weeks to train him to accept and like the crate.

Regarding anxiety when you go out - in addition to the above steps try leaving the TV or radio on. Go through the motions of leaving (get keys, coat etc) several times a day without leaving, ignore any signs of stress he shows to this - we don't want him to 'normalise' getting stressed when you get ready to leave. You can even go so far as going out/getting in the car etc then coming back in again. I would try and.do this all as often as possible before progressing to leaving properly. When you come back in, initially ignore him if he gets very excited to see you. Only give him fuss when he has calmed down. Essentially we want to try and make your coming and going a completely uneventful situation for him. If you are still struggling with all of this then it would be advisable to seek professional behavioural help to support you with this.

I hope that helps? Please let me know if you need any further information or advice.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou this has really helped

You're welcome, good luck with him. Feel free to message again if you need anything further.

If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time (otherwise they don't pay me anything for answering these questions!). Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Certainly will do now Thankyou