Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

How do I stop my 16 week old lurcher pup from biting all my

How do I stop my 16 week old lurcher pup from biting all my family. We can’t sit on the sofa without him attacking us. We have tried distraction toys and licky Mats, bones etc. He’s only lovely in the mornings
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is***** don’t want to punish him but it’s very stressful
Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: We adopted him from his previous family when he was 13 weeks, we think he may have some bad habits but shows no sign of improvement

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

sounds as though Leo at this stage is being a typical puppy. He has learnt that biting elicits what he perceives to be play behaviour. There are several things that you can do,and certainly what you have done so far is all positive so continuing to reinforce good behaviour by treat rewarding and ensuring not to give a reaction to bad behaviour. Replacement of him attacking people with toys or a chew is good, if this isnt working what can work really well is response with an "ouch" in a high pitch loud response will normally elicit a reaction from leo that shocks him/reacts to stop what hes doing. I actually have a lurcher myself who is now 3years old and she certainly did this at 12weeks old. The behaviour he is also doing as he will be teething from 4-6m old so this is normal for them to want to chew and bite but we want to control it early on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He jumps up and his teeth are very sharp and it is difficult to get him off if there isn’t a toy nearby and even then he doesn’t seem to care, what is the best thing to do in that situation?

The best thing is to completely ignore this behaviour. Only give fuss/attention when all 4 paws are on the ground. He will soon learn that the behaviour doesn't elicit a 'response' from you and therefore is no fun!

Keep me updated and let me know how you get on! Keep drawing on the positives of having him as the behaviour will soon settle, it can be hard work to start with but will be worth it.