Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

We have 4 year old yorkie.very lively, friendly, but suffers

We have 4 year old yorkie.very lively, friendly, but suffers from strong anxiety when either one of us leaves the house or even the room. - she shakes and pants until we are both back. She wont eat while we are out. I don't know how she copes in kennels when we go on holiday. Can you advise please ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: SCOOBY2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about SCOOBY2?
Customer: She is fit and normal. She sleeps in a cage, it is her safe place !

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear about this with Scooby. It sounds to me like a classic case of separation anxiety. Unfortunately it is one of the more difficult behavioural problems to deal with, but there are several things you can do to help.

We want Scooby to get to a point where you coming or going from the house is no longer a big deal, I.e it is a completely normal event. This means trying to help prevent her working herself up about it when she gets ques that you are about to leave (putting on coat, getting keys etc). I would start by getting ready to go out several times per day but then not actually go out, build this up to actually going out of the door but then coming back in again. Give her a treat only if she remains calm. Likewise when you come back in, ignore her for a few minutes until she is calm before giving her fuss - we don't want you coming back in to be associated with such heightened emotions either.

I would also consider when leaving for short periods putting the tv or radio on, this can help a little and settling her in her safe place with a long lasting treat or chew - something to try and distract her a little when you actually leave.

Finally a pheromone product such as Adaptil or Pet Remedy could be useful to try and help reduce her anxiety.

Those are a few starting points - please let me know if you have any questions at all. Or need any further help.

Chris

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks Chris, I'll give it a try !

You're welcome. Let me know how you get on