Linda Simon
Linda Simon,
Experience:  Locum veterinarian at Panacea pets ltd
103237793

I actually have 3 dogs but only 1 of them troubles me, due

I actually have 3 dogs but only 1 of them troubles me, due to poor health I was unable to house train them properly but we get by except for Fluke he is a whippet poodle cross and he pee's up everthing, chairs,doors, shoes bags and today a potted plant on my kitchen table, it seems to be some sort of obsessive behavior.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Fluke and he's probably 5 I cannot remember how long I've him but it was from a pup as well as his sister Wilma but she's relatively normal.
Assistant: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Fluke
Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Fluke?
Customer: He is clever at times but his concentration isn't good, when off lead he just runs and comes back when he's tired, he will chase cyclists and joggers and has to be muzzled when he's out, when I get visitors he gets very excited and jumps up everywhere, when he sees the dog walker its bedlam but he's also a complete couch potato if he's on my knee.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my repsonse
First of all, it's great that you are aiming to address Fluke's issues and we should certainly be able to improve things, even at his age.
It is worth mentioning that we can house train a dog at any age and it would absolutely be worth taking it back to basics and starting a house training programme with him as if he were a pup. This entails frequent visits outside and lots of treats and rewards when he does go. Take him to the same spot so it smells familiar. Any accidents indoors should be ignored (or if you are lucky enough to see him about to go, quickly pick him up and take him outside). Clean any indoor soiled areas with an enzymatic cleaner to eliminate the scent as it sounds as though he is marking.
It is also essential that we rule out any underlying medical issues. Health conditions such as cystitis, urinary infections, urinary stones, kidney disease, diabetes, Cushing's etc. can all result in indoor urination. At a minimum, it would be good for him to have had a recent vet check and a urinalysis. If required, a general blood test may also help to rule in or out any health conditions.
With regards ***** ***** excitement, we may be able to curb this too. For most, it is due to a lack of an appropriate outlet. Depending on his size and breed, he will need a certain amount of consistent exercise each day. This should include varied hiking routes and he should have the opportunity to sniff and explore. However, exercising him is just one side of the coin. It is also vital that we tire him out and challenge him mentally. This consists of training, interactive toys, puzzles etc. Dogs naturally love to sniff, lick and chew so we should also encourage graze feeding in items such as Kongs, Lickimatts and puzzle feeders.
If available nearby, he may also relish the opportunity to participate in local agility or scenting classes.
With regards ***** ***** at visitors, we need to be strict as this can be dangerous for young children or the elderly. Be sure to let people know that they must ignore him (not look at him, touch him or talk to him) if he greets them by jumping up. Once he is in the floor, he can have a treat at floor level. Once he is calm and on the ground, we can greet him. Again, if he jumps up, we start the process again! This type of training will take time but he will soon realise what we want from him.
It also sounds as though we need to work on his recall! Certainly chasing other people should not be tolerated. Go back to basics with the recall, starting from short distances on a loose and long lead. Give your command (perhaps call his name or say 'here!') and then reward him heavily (with treats and praise) when he comes back. Gradually work up over time, increasing the distance. The aim is for him to come whenever he is called so that you can prevent any unwanted chasing.
If you feel he is a stressy/anxious dog in general, consider feeding daily calming supplements such as Nutracalm or Yucalm which are 100% natural and will not cause any side effects.
Ensure his diet is balanced and not rich in sugars. An option such as 'Royal Canin Calm' is worth considering.
A final consideration for him would be to consider a behaviourist that comes to the home and assesses him and his environment. This can be especially useful for tailored advice when there are a number of things we need to work on.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****