Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My puppy keeps nipping and biting, I turn my back on her and

Customer Question

Hi, my puppy keeps nipping and biting, I turn my back on her and stop playing with her but she hangs off my clothes etc
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lola
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: No she is 12 weeks today and had her 2nd vaccination today
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 year ago.

If you turn you back and cease interaction with her, how long will she persist with biting/pulling on your clothes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not king but if she nips the back of my leg it’s hard to ignore her, she is distracted easy enough, but I just worry with her round grandson wen she jump up and nips his hand etc
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 year ago.

She is using the nipping to try and initiate play, you need her to learn that also play/excitement/contact ceases if she starts jumping up or nipping. As you have been doing ignoring her is the best response, anything else such as saying no etc is unlikely to help as she won't know the meaning of this. Once she learns that she doesn't get anything out of the behaviour then it will stop

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s a bit hard to ignore when she is biting the back of ur leg etc. What else can I try, also putting on her harness is a big game to her.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the delay, in my opinion ignoring is still the best way to approach this. If she isn't getting anything from her behaviour then she will stop, ensure that contact/fuss etc is only continued once she settles down and ceases to jump/nip etc