DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

My dog is a great family pet. He is a ridgeback mix and gets

Hi, my dog is a great family pet. He is a ridgeback mix and gets on well with our other dog(bitch) German Shepard. But he’s very aggressive towards other male dogs so I can’t let him off the lead. He managed to get out the other day and attacked another large dog. I’m very worried that he could do serious damage if it was small dog.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: Hi, my dog is a great family pet. He is a ridgeback mix and gets on well with our other dog(bitch) German Shepard. But he’s very aggressive towards other male dogs so I can’t let him off the lead. He managed to get out the other day and attacked another large dog. I’m very worried that he could do serious damage if it was a small dog.
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It’s a frenzied attack to to front and back
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about your dog?
Customer: He's got a Staffordshire in his looks too. Also I have to put him away if we have children here as he jumps up. He’s very strong and muscular dog.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Is he on leash when you walk?

Does he wear a muzzle?

How often are you training him?

How is his recall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we keep him on the lead due to his unpredictability. I’ve tried him with a muzzle but it was unsuccessful. He wouldn’t walk or play with it on and just stands there with his head dropped down sulking. Or constantly tries to paw it off. He’s very well trained and excellent in the house. Loves people and attention hence his jumping up. His recall is much better now until there’s a distraction. He behaves for ages, builds your trust then occasionally lets you down. He’s a very intelligent dog and understands everything we say to him.

Thank you for that information.

So it's no surprise that dogs listen well in the home, this is because there are no outside distractions.

If the dog is not listening outside to recall, a leave it command or basic commands, this means he needs to be trained further and usually this means daily training.

Distracting places are used in later stages of training and the reward for listening to the owner has to be something very good to the dog, such as chicken slivers.

Since this dog has an aggressive past it is important that you get him used to a muzzle and I would use a basket muzzle, not a cloth muzzle. You want the the dog to be able to drink and pant when needed.

I would work more on his sit stays so he is not jumping up on people and more on his recall and leave it commands so you can get him back before a fight starts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve been to various dog training classes with him. He loves his food to the point he won’t leave my side if he can smell the treats, but this doesn’t solve the aggression side of him. Maybe I’ll have to start putting muzzle on him for short time in house for him to get used to it?

Training classes are not the same as the outside world on a walk. Distractions will be different.

Yes, you can get him used to it. If you use a basket muzzle he can still take treats from you so this will help in him seeing this as a good thing happening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ll try that! I would enjoy taking him out more with a muzzle just incase. I’m just too nervous of him around other dog walkers. We do live on large plot of land so he does get to run free but we still like to take them out for walks. More muzzle training makes sense, that would solve everything I think. I’d given up with it but probably need to do for shorter periods over longer time at home. Thank you I’ll give it another go.

You are very welcome. I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do ��