DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

We adopted our dog about two months ago and they told us she

we adopted our dog about two months ago and they told us she was fully house trained. she is about a year and a half so not a puppy anymore. however, she keeps having multiple accidents in the house a day. online websites say that in house training you should take out the dog every hour, but we live in a high rise apartment and it’s pretty far to the nearest grassy area. it takes about thirty minutes to take out our two dogs even for a super short potty break and not even a proper walk, so taking her out more than four times a day just isn’t realistic, and at her age she should be able to hold it for that long. do you have any advice or tips on how we can housetrain her, besides using pee pads? they told us she already was houstrained, which is why we chose her because we knew beforehand that we couldn’t potty train a dog in the traditional way. is there any way to remind her that she knows better? thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would also like to add that many times she will gulp down water as soon as we get inside from the walk and then pee in the house about thirty minutes later. could restricting water access help with this?

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Even when a dog has been potty trained by a former owner , it does not mean they remain potty trained in a shelter. Likely no one was taking her out at all except when they cleaned the kennel.

What have you tried so far to work with her regarding only this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi! she was never in a shelter, we got her from a family that was rehoming her! so far what we’ve tried is keeping her on the same schedule and routine the other family had her on and giving her treats and praise when she potties outside

Sounds like maybe they were not so honest with you. I would want to check her health out, see if there are bladder stones causing a problem as usually dogs that are well potty trained do not like to start going in the home.

So you are doing most of it correctly, I would just like to add a couple of things.

Hang a bell on the door that she can reach and ring this each time you go out for potty reasons. Eventually she will start ringing it when she needs to go out.

When you take her out take her to one area and give a potty command such as her name and go potty, continue to give this command even as she is going, praise and reward with something special such as chicken slivers. Reward her outside right after she goes because if you wait until she comes inside, then she will think that is what you are rewarding.

If she does not go outside, put her in a crate and take her out again in 10 minutes to try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she got a full checkup at the vet about two weeks ago so it’s not health related. she always goes outside when we take her, the main problem is her gulping down water immediately after we come inside and then peeing somewhere soon after. we can’t use a bell since we tried to train our other dog to use one and he abused it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we were rewarding her on return though so we will switch to rewarding her outside

That may help. Putting her in a confined space is going to make her not likely to go, as well, that's why you use a crate if you take her out and nothing happens, An older dog really only needs to go out every 4 hours, but she is new to your home so she may be struggling in that sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could restricting her water help or would that be harmful to her?

I don't think it is going to make a difference,by you could try putting only a certain amount in the bowl rather than filling it up. It is likely she will need a drink after walking. If your walk is 30 minutes long then maybe take a dog water bottle and have her drink on her walk. maybe she'll let it out before she goes back inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks!