DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

Our 8 year old dog's barking is getting worse. She barks

Our 8 year old dog's barking is getting worse. She barks every time she is let out into the garden, when the doorbell goes, when she can see someone coming home, on walks, at other dogs and other people, and howls every morning when she can hear people getting up. I know its coming from excitement - to be fed, to be on a walk etc... - but she is so so loud and isn't responding to anything. She's always been vocal, but now more so than ever. How can we help control this better?

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

How often is she trained in commands and what commands does she know?

What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She knows sit, paw and leave but we havent had set training times since she was a puppy - There’s so many situations she’s excessively barking in. On walks she’s much better on her own, rather than being walked with one of our other dogs. We’ve tried standing still until she stops barking and then walking on when she’s quiet. She’s not interested in treats outside of the home. When she’s howling in the morning also try to ignore and not come downstairs when she’s making noise but she’ll just go on and on - she’s anticipating being fed breakfast. When she’s let into the garden she’s either barking at a neighbours dog, barking because she wants one of our other dogs to come out too or just generally goes out making noise.

So in 8 years it does not sound like she has had much training at all and therein lies a big part of the issue. Without regular training, they run on their instincts of being a dog with nothing to tell them the behavior is not wanted.

There are devices that may help stop this. There are collars that spray water or citronella when the dog barks and there is a barker breaker you can set up inside the house and they make them for the outside as well. A word of caution, the humans can also hear the high pitched sound, but if it works for your dog, she will be corrected even when you are not at home and the dog learns to only bark two or three times before the device goes off.

The other thing you can do is teach the dog a couple of commands.

In order for a dog to understand what quiet means, you have to teach that. Because she is a barker, you would teach speak first, then teach quiet. When she barks use the quiet command, but you can't use that until the command is taught.

You can also teach her the leave it command. which is useful when you are on walks. A good heel and leave it command can stop the dog from barking at other animals or people even cars. Leave it , when taught to 100%, should mean to the dog, leave everything you have your mind on and put your attention back on me for the next command. Then if walking you would give the heel command. If you were home and the dog barked at the window or at someone coming to the door, the leave it command would mean the same. For these instances you may want to teach him to go to his bed when someone is at the door.

When you train leave it , use a variety of items.

leave it Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8oaB7MAJnI

Barker breaker https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amtek-BB1-Original-Barker-Breaker-All-Purpose-Pet-Trainer/322070266

speak and quiet https://www.clickertraining.com/node/185

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fcVPfkbYIM

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for that advice. So first to learn the commands and then we use them in the barking situations? She's eager to please, I've just tried a little bit of the leave command and she is understanding so working on that will be beneficial.What would you advise for the outside barking as this is the biggest issue. So when she's let outside and starts barking right away would you go out and tell her quiet and praise when there is quiet?

Yes, use the quiet command even when she is outside. It may be that you have to take her out on leash and practice there first so she understands quiet means to be quiet in every place she goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we will try this, thank you

You are very welcome. I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time