DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

My dog, a 2.5 year old spayed female labrador, usually very

my dog, a 2.5 year old spayed female labrador, usually very friendly and obedient gets extremely aggressive and obsessive about cats being in our back yard/garden. She rushes around the garden in the evening, searching for cats, even though they are not there, but she can smell them,. We worry abut what she would do if she found one, as we don’t want her to kill a neighbour’s cat. Normally when she’s out with us she is well behaved and well trained, but not when she gets into this car fever type of behaviour.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about your dog?
Customer: NO, just an answer please.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

It sounds like your dog has a high prey drive for moving critters when you are not there to correct the behavior.

If he knows the leave it command use that when you see him going after the cats. This takes some time to teach and you must use a variety of different items for the command to be successful . It may be helpful as you go on through items to teach this, as the dog gets better at listening you incorporate a kids remote control car in the garden as a moving item.

The other alternative is not to allow him loose in the yard so you always have control of him.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** will “leave” things when I tell her to but she gets so riled up about cats having been in our back yard (garden) that she can’t hear what I’m saying.

Yes, it is due to the prey drive dogs have, so you have to really work more on firming the leave it up so that when there are distractions she will listen to you. This may mean you have to put her on a 30 ft cotton training leash (cotton is used so the dog does not feel the weight of the leash) so when you give the Leave it, you have control over her that way.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It was a reasonable suggestion and we will try it. Thank you.