Linda Simon
Linda Simon,
Experience:  Locum veterinarian at Panacea pets ltd
103237793

Gy, A 11 year old rescue border/ cross who is becoming more

Gy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: A 11 year old rescue border/***** ***** cross who is becoming more and more neurotic, especially now at night time keeping everyone awake. How can we help him?? I would like to speak to someone if possible. Thanks.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: The dog is not hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chaz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Chaz?
Customer: He had been found in Bath during bad weather, ie thunderstorms, November 5 and Halloween, so always has been very upset by wind etc. We are totally aware of this, but his behaviour has got worse and worse.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I dont have any documents

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments as I type my response

I'm sorry to hear Chaz has this issue.

At this stage, it would be wise to have a general health check (quick look over from head to toe looking for e.g. a rotten tooth, sore joints or enlarged prostate) as discomfort or a chronic health issue may be behind this behaviour change. A basic blood test looking at liver/kidney function is also wise for this reason, as is a urine screen to look for e.g. a grumbling cystitis.

If his health is found to be good, he may be showing the symptoms of canine dementia. This is a relatively common disease in older dogs and symptoms can include barking, pacing, staring into space etc Many owners find signs are worse at night for some reason. Though there is no cure, it can be an idea to have these dogs on brain supplements and a special diet. Here is some more info: https://thebark.com/content/canine-dementia-signs-symptoms-treatments

Another consideration would be generalised anxiety which perhaps has worsened with the recent fireworks and bad weather. We would thus consider having a vet behaviourist coming to the home to assess him. It would be a good idea to have an Adaptil diffuser and to trial a course of calming supplements e.g. Zylkene to see if these help.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
we have an Adaptil diffuser and have already used Zylkene several times in the past.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I shall make an appt with own vet but thank you for your input.

Ah, you are way ahead of me in that regard!

If the diffuser has not helped, consider an Adaptil collar as these can work better in some.

Please do feel free to keep me updated on the vet visit and to ask any further questions you may have.