DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

How can I stop my 8 week old whippet cross greyhound from

Customer Question

How can I stop my 8 week old whippet cross greyhound from jumping and biting please.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Leroy. Thankyou
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Leroy?
Customer: He does bark a lot
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Puppies have no impulse control or bite inhibition and it takes time and training to get them to control impulse.

What have you done so far?

Hello again ., I am going to be offline for a while due to an appointment so I wanted to answer you before I leave and I see you are off line. Might be a time zone thing:)

Puppies will often do this and this is usually due to lack of socialization when they were pups. They are given up to shelters or new owners before they have had the time to learn what bite inhibition is. This is why trainers will often tell you to yelp and walk away from the dog if it bites, as this is what a litter mate would do. Sometimes this works, sometimes it makes it worse, and this can have something to do with the age of the dog and what it has been able to get away with for a long time or it can have to do with the breed of dog as well.

Herding dogs will often nip or become mouthy lightly during play because it is in them to herd a flock of sheep, and so, they would nip at the heels of sheep to keep them moving. But, with some dogs, it is just poor or limited impulse control. The best thing for poor impulse control, is to teach them a command because they have a hard time remaining calm once they cross a certain threshold. It is equally important to play normal games with this type of dog and not do any roughhousing. A mixture of running and chasing, with high pitched squeals and screeches, get this type of dog over excited.

Telling the dog No rarely works because it is used so often for so many things and is usually used in a tone of voice that is reprimanding , not teaching. This will only interrupt the actions temporarily, but the dog will do it again shortly after. In most cases we would teach the dog the command leave it.

Direct the dog to a toy or bone that it can have. This teaches the dog that what it is doing at that particular time is not okay, but that there is something it can do that is okay. The “leave it “ command can be used for many different things, from leaving that plate of food you just dropped on the floor alone, to leaving another animal alone, to not nipping or grabbing your body parts.

Try also investing in mind stimulating toys such as the Kong Genius, the treat dispensing ball, and the buster cube Fill it with the daily dose of kibble. You can even take a large Gatorade bottle and fill it with the daily kibble and put a larger biscuit in there so the food is harder to get out. With these toys, the dog has to figure out how to manipulate the toy in order to get the food. The food serves as a purpose to work for a reward. The toy starts teaching impulse control

Train daily in all obedience commands but train in short sessions ( 10 to 15 minutes) throughout the day. By doing this you are stimulating the mind and making the dog tired at the same time.

You can also invest in some Grannicks bitter apple and spray what the dog bites as most dogs do not like this taste or smell so they eventually think this is what the item always smells like so they lose interest. This can be used on human skin and you can find in online at amazon or in a pet store.

What ever the case the dog has to learn what is appropriate play in all situations with every person, and this would be games of fetch, seek, and dog tricks.

Below is a site for clicker training. The clicker cost 3 dollars, a treat bag about 5 dollars, and a pack of hotdogs about 4 dollars. Cut the hotdogs so that they are in slivers and there is no chewing involved as this gets the dog’s attention back on you faster.

If you have never used a clicker , you have to load it first before you start training. This just means you do 10 to 15 repetitions of clicking and treating so she knows that after the click sound, she is rewarded. The click sound as you train, is actually a marker that she has done the right thing. The clicker costs about 2 dollars in a pet store.

Zac George -loading the clicker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDOrEEsAJ8

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

For more videos of clicker training other commands go to google search and type in “clicker training videos”

use a variety of items for training leave it so the dog knows it pertains to everything in its sight.

clicker leave it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

clicker maintaining focus http://www.clickertraining.com/files/auto-eye-contact.pdf